If your listing on Google has incorrect information, such as your business name, address, or phone number, there are multiple ways to update it. Use the steps below to guide you through the process.
Option 1: Claim your listing (Best Choice)
This is the best option, as it not only allows you to update the outdated information, but also include additional items like a profile photo and take charge of your listing. Follow the steps below to claim your listing.
- Log into your Google account
- Visit http://www.google.com/business/
- Click the blue words “Sign in” in the top right corner
- Search for your business using the exact name that currently appears on Google
- It should drop down with options, select the page you wish to claim
- Follow the prompts to answers the questions appropriately for your business.
- From here, what happens next will vary. You may be prompted to send a postcard for verification, a phone call, or automatically gain control.
- If you receive a message that someone else controls your listing you can attempt to contact them using the button provided or move to Option 3.
To view your page after it is claimed, visit https://business.google.com/
Option 2: Report a problem
This is a good option to updating a listing of another business that is not your own. Submitting a report does not guarantee it will get updated. To report incorrect information, follow the steps below.
- Search for the business on google.com/maps
- Click on the desired business in the drop down menu
- Click “suggest an edit” at the bottom of the search box
- Click the option “change name or other details”
- Click on the item that is incorrect (such as the name or phone number), you can select multiple
- Enter the correct information in the box that appears underneath it
- Add any photos as needed (but this is optional)
- Click send
*You should receive an e-mail once the updates are published
Option 3: Contact Google Support
If you have any issues with claiming a listing or making edits, you can contact a Google rep directly to assist you with the listing. Follow the steps below.
- Log into your Google account that manages, or will manage, your business listing
- Visit https://support.google.com/business/
- Click “Contact Us” at the bottom of the page
- Fill in the information in each box and click “Next Step”
- Once finished, you will see 1 or more contact options. Click on your preferred option. It is normal for Email to be the only option.
- Proceed to reach out to support with more information
If you are still stuck, we are here to help. Contact PaperStreet for all of your internet marketing needs.
Are you interested in learning more about legal marketing? Head on over to our SEO Guidelines & Best Practices page. Our guide will teach you the do’s and don’ts for law firm SEO along with what we include in our SEO plans.