Impress and Get Results with Content Marketing
Gone are the days where referrals and networking events are your primary source of clients. Google and other internet searches reign supreme and your potential clients window shop attorneys by visiting their law firm's website. Not only should your site look visibly appealing, it must also engage and inform your potential client as to why your law firm is right for them. Thus, your law firm content marketing strategy is as critical as all of your other marketing efforts.
Have a solid, custom law firm content marketing plan not only increases your firm's chances of getting noticed online, but it helps boost your number of inquiries which can translate into leads. Over the long run, high-quality website content is a superb return on investment (ROI). Overall, a strong content strategy revolves around in-depth articles, detailed practice area pages, attorney bios and blogs.
At PaperStreet, our content marketing team includes former practicing lawyers and attorney writers. We have a unique insight into the legal market, as well as knowledge of the latest web-writing and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices. Let PaperStreet's team help you grow your audience, establish online authority, increase brand awareness and boost traffic, leads and conversions.
Why Invest in Content Marketing for your Law Firm?
You should invest in content for two reasons: authority and inquiries.
- Authority/Thought Leadership - A well-written article can establish you as an expert in your field. You can leverage your online authority to gain new clients, impress existing clients and colleagues, and open doors to new opportunities.
- Rankings/Traffic/Leads - Long-form articles rank higher than short pages. If you rank high for keyword phrases that have a high search volume, you will get traffic and leads. An increase in traffic and leads will help your firm grow.
Research shows that when people read websites, they scan pages quickly, rather than dutifully read each and every word. Unfortunately, the importance of this finding has been widely misused as a license to justify poor quality, “filler” content that no one (except a search engine spider) is supposed to notice.
In truth, the exact opposite approach to lawyer content marketing: Lawyers need to increase content standards, not lower them.
Online readers are a highly critical yet highly motivated audience. Yes, they are scanning content quickly, but only because there is so much information out there, and so much of it does not meet their needs.
It is important to remember that scanning is usually only the first step. In the beginning, potential clients are looking for specific keywords, headlines, lists and quick answers, as well as more subtle content clues that, taken collectively, convey two key concepts:
- They have found the the legal information they are looking for; and
- It is from a law firm they feel they can trust.
PaperStreet's team of legal writers and editors creates top-notch, quality writing that will help set your firm apart and is SEO optimized to get you noticed in search results. Professional writing will help get your firm more valuable leads and results in a more user-friendly and search engine driven website.
Here are some testimonials from our clients:
- "You are one of my favorite clients, and dealing with people like you makes work a piece of cake - honestly.
- "You're content for the homepage was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- "Well done, this is great! It’s a good balance of showcasing our culture and USP, weaving in our “story theme” and making it compelling."
- "I love it! You have made it really unique!"
- "With regards to the Blog topics, these topics are fantastic!"
- "I am impressed by the depth of your writer's research!"
- "YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME. Thank you, again"
Guide to Law Firm Content Marketing: 5 Important Tips for Your Legal Content Strategy
Creating content for your law firm's website is no small task. The most effective lawyer content strategies encompass a variety of content styles and require a fair amount of research. We have included a guide to help you get started with your content marketing campaign:
1) Conduct keyword research.
Many attorneys incorrectly assume that keyword research only applies to SEO campaigns. In reality, keyword research is a critical first step for all content marketing campaigns.
You need to do this kind of research to determine the trending searches in your area and how much content you'll need to create. For example, don't waste too much time crafting train accident content if it only yields ten searches a month. Yes, you may want these cases for your practice, but there may not be enough internet searches to justify a vast amount of content dedicated to these claims.
Similarly, proper keyword research also demonstrates your keyword difficulty. If the number is high, you'll need to invest more time in that practice area's quality and quantity of content to outperform the competition.
2) Review the content on your competing law firm's websites.
It's important to review several competitor's websites when developing your law firm's content strategy. Select competitors by way of direct search (i.e., typing in the law firm's name) and conduct a Google search to see which firms are performing well in your desired practice areas.
When conducting your research, make a note of several factors:
- Amount of content on the homepage and practice area pages. Do the attorneys in your area have a lot of information about their claims, or is it more or less just a stylized page without text. The more the other firms have, the more you probably need, as well.
- What practice areas or claims do they mention? Though you may already know what claims you'd like to target, another website may inspire you to craft content for additional legal matters. Along those lines, you may also be inspired to write about content that your competitors lack. For example, if you're a family lawyer and none of your competitors write about parental alienation, this may be a low-hanging fruit that you can grab with some content.
- Look for multimedia content presentations. If your top competitors have details like videos, infographics, and other more creative content formats, that may be something to keep on the back burner for when you're done with your written material.
3) Outline Content Silos
As mentioned in #1, some practice areas are going to be more competitive than others. That means certain practice areas simply need more content. It's a good rule of thumb to include 500 words per page, but some legal areas require far more than that on the page and overall.
The trick to incorporating hubs into your attorney content marketing campaign is to break down practice areas into individual claims. Examples include:
- Break car accident cases into types of accidents: DUI, distracted driving, rideshare accidents, etc.
- Divide medical malpractice into categories: hospital negligence, misdiagnosis, birth injuries, etc.
- Create pages for individuals crimes: white-collar defense, sex crimes, etc.
There is no harm with adding more content to your site unless it's repetitive. Many content marketing campaigns see success with a significant amount of content—so if something makes legal sense to add it, you should include it.
4) When It's Time to Start Writing, Remember Your Audience
All too often, law firms draft web content that reads more like a legal brief than assistance for a potential client. Though some of your content may be to show legal authority, in general, you are writing to the general public. In order to prevent a site visitor from getting frustrated with your site, you need to keep the following content writing tips in mind:
- As a rule, strive for an eighth-grade reading level
- Divide up your content with bullets and headings
- Don't talk about too many topics on one page
- Include FAQs
Further, put yourself in the shoes of a site visitor. For many of your practice areas, a potential client will be feeling overwhelmed, unhappy and confused. Your goal is to make the site visitor feel comfortable with your law firm and that you can help them with their specific legal question. Thus, your content should walk clients through legal matters to understand why they need a lawyer and what you will do to help them.
Additionally, writing for your target audiences includes more than simply drafting practice area pages. For example, your potential clients want to know what makes your law firm better than the other firm with an impressive website. Therefore, make sure your content marketing strategy includes pages like case results, testimonials, etc., to showcase your successes.
5) Remember that Your Law Firm Content Marketing Strategy Must Continue to Evolve.
All too often, attorneys create a content strategy, write the material and then never touch their core content again. (Note: core content is often referred to as “evergreen content,” as well.) This is a fatal mistake as competitor websites improve, Google algorithms change, and keyword trends shift.
Monitoring your content marketing campaign is critical to your success. See which pages are performing as desired by tracking which pages yield conversions versus which pages have a high bounce rate.
Even if the data proves positive, you still need to keep up with the evolving trends in legal marketing. Add subpages to your existing hubs. Invest in the multimedia options mentions in #2. It may even be worth it to update your web design if your site pales in comparison to your competitors.
The strongest content marketing campaign with a high yield of client conversions still has the potential to drop over time. Thus, continuously evolving your content strategy based on data and the tips above are critical to your success.
You can see our Best practices guide on
Content Marketing for Law Firms: A Best Practices Guide (Part 1: The Basics)
Content Writing for Law Firms: A Best Practices Guide (Part 2: Strategies and Resources)
Content Marketing for Law Firms: A Best Practices Guide (Part 2: Videos and Press Releases)
Why Rely on a Marketing Agency for Your Law Firm's Content Marketing Strategy and Campaign?
It takes more time than you think.
We have seen website launches delayed for an entire year, waiting on an attorney to find the time to write the content. We know lawyers who’ve gotten excited about starting a new blog, only to post three times and lose steam. When you delay a website launch, or fail to follow through on a blog, you lose potential clients and credibility.
Long-form content is now the desired form.
In order to be effective, law firm marketing content now needs to be 1,000-2,000 words at a minimum.
You have to understand lawyer content marketing and what clients are looking for.
Writing for the web is different from writing for court. We know techniques to boost your search engine ranking with content. We also know how to make the content that will be buzzworthy and earn shares and clicks, without reducing your reputation as a legal authority.
Search engines are getting smarter every day.
Content that is stuffed full of keywords, but is incomprehensible, will no longer get you top rankings in the long term, if it ever did. As search engines grow more sophisticated, they improve their algorithms and become increasingly more human-like in their rankings.
Merely writing the content is not enough.
A publication and promotion plan is necessary to rank the content, ensuring you get noticed.
It takes you away from billing.
Do the math. How much do you bill an hour? How much do we charge? Enough said.
Why Choose PaperStreet?
Law firms often realize their content is lackluster, but do nothing about it because they think they don't have the time (or budget) to address the problem. That's where PaperStreet comes in, with plans to fit most budgets.
- We Specialize in Law Firm Content. PaperStreet has been serving the online needs of solo attorneys, medium-sized law firms, and large firms alike for over 20 years. We offer Search Optimization packages along with our content products and have a proven track record of helping clients obtain top search engine rankings. Our company founder is an attorney, and he established the company because he saw the need for high-quality legal web sites and content.
- We offer reasonable rates and great value. We use experienced, professional writers and attorney-writers supervised by an extra layer of high-level editors. The result is concise, compelling, error-free content. Of course, your firm has the opportunity to request revisions. Customer satisfaction is our business.
Our Comprehensive Content Marketing Options for Law Firms
Whether you're a new law firm creating a new website to gain more clients or simply refreshing your campaign, PaperStreet offers a host of options to bolster any law firm's content marketing strategies. We conduct a full analysis of your site or business plan and help you create the campaign that best fits your practice areas and target your client base.
After our one-time initial strategy consultation, we will deliver the following items monthly:
- Research - Research of keyword phrases, competition and practice areas for article topics.
- Outline - Outline of a 2,000-word article with 10 to 20 subtopics. We will get your approval and begin writing.
- Writing - Writing of a monthly long-form content piece to target a specific practice area. The articles are 2,000 words focused on a guide of a practice area. We will include information about the practice area, FAQs, your firm, testimonials, guidelines and online resources.
- Editing - We will forward a draft of the article. After your review, we include one round of revisions to the article.
- Publishing - Publishing of the article on your website or possibly another website.
- Linking - PaperStreet will bolster this long-form content by obtaining specific, tailored, natural links uniquely focused on supporting this content.
What Does Law Firm Content Marketing Include?
What many attorneys don't realize is that a content marketing strategy is more than just the practice area pages on your website. Though those are vastly important, the additional components of lawyer content marketing include:
We set up social media accounts for your law firm and craft compelling posts that engage with your community. Additionally, we can create custom social media plans that vary in the number of posts we create, in addition to boosting posts so we can further target Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter users that are interested in the services you provide. We work with you to create, develop and execute strategies to build your following and help grow your firm’s brand.
White Papers and eBooks
White papers are designed to target potential clients and help attorneys establish their expertise among col-sm-12 col-md-6leagues, while being a more convenient avenue than academic journals. eBooks are also a great way to build authority and provide information to clients. Many companies use eBooks to capture email addresses and data about potential customers, and in exchange for them providing this information, they can download a free resource.
As social media changes how people communicate globally, press releases have a revitalized purpose and play a critical role in promoting your firm’s content marketing online. Today, press releases can be optimized with SEO keywords using direct communication tools, such as social media, blogs and websites, to deliver information to your target audience.
We create custom press releases or edit your release and submit it to a PR distribution service for syndication. We understand how to develop effective press releases and how to get the distribution service to accept it so it reaches a broader audience.
Infographics are a mix of writing and visual design that allow clients to process data quickly and efficiently. The use of infographics in marketing over the last several years has increased by over 1,000%. This compelling and attractive design is effective because more than 90% of the information we see comes into our brain via visual images. Infographics are superb advertising for print, websites and even social media.
Members of our award-winning design and Internet marketing team create one-of-a-kind infographics and content marketing for law firms to drive traffic to your website or social media accounts.
We offer a range of newsletter services, from consulting on setting up distribution lists and custom newsletter design to content writing and editing. Newsletters that properly align with your firm’s brand are a cost-effective way to help you connect with clients and build long-term relationships, all while ensuring they keep you in mind for any of their legal needs that may arise. When done correctly, newsletters don’t appear spammy, and our team can help train you how to use email marketing services, including Constant Contact or MailChimp. Additionally, our team of writers can create original newsletters and engaging content to reach your target demographic.
The experts at PaperStreet know how to create a search engine, user-friendly site architecture. For example, the most relevant content should be easy to access and a workable site architecture helps boost crawlability and indexation. If firms choose a comprehensive SEO plan, having a site architecture that further enhances keywords is also critical. We have created hundreds of site architectures for law firms and can advise on the best way to structure your site for usability, aesthetics and SEO.
A content download is a free content asset that is offered to web visitors in exchange for their contact information. We create compelling law firm content downloads that provide valuable information to potential clients and drive conversions. Our team can develop a variety of content, ranging from PDFs, how-to guides, surveys, articles, eBooks and infographics to white papers.
Having a comprehensive, seamless branding concept is essential for law firms. Consistency is critical when creating recognizable brands. Our design team works with firms to create a memorable corporate identity, which includes logo designs, brochures, all-inclusive branding, advertising, videography, photography and illustrations. Having a recognizable brand is essential to a firm’s success.
Article Placement and Media Mentions
We assist in garnering press mentions, media placements and guest blogging opportunities. We can also ghostwrite articles and blog posts for local, state and national publications with your byline.
Legal Blog Writing
We craft recurring, fresh content for your blog. Our services are turnkey and include research, topic development, writing, search engine optimization, editing and uploading them directly to your site.
Videos and explainer videos are a growing trend in content marketing and offer another medium to deliver your message. We offer a variety of video packages for every budget and will help with script writing, SEO and more.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is no longer optional; it’s a necessity in today’s online marketing world. If you want clients to find your firm, your site needs to rank high for primary and secondary keywords to help people find your website.
Additional Digital Marketing Materials
Creating professional marketing materials is essential for law firms. Whether your firm is looking for SEO, Pay-Per-Click services or social media marketing, PaperStreet’s team of highly skilled marketing specialists can help create a custom marketing material package that best suits your firm’s present and future needs.
PaperStreet Case Study Examples
Examples of successful long-form pieces of content and their rankings are outlined below:
- Thorn Tax Law- #1 nationally ranked page for “fatca tax lawyer”
- Evans Law- #1 state (and nationally) ranked page for “Most Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse in California”
- Hirsch & Lyon - #2 for “Arizona car accident guide” and also ranks high for Arizona car accident law.
Comprehensive Guide Helps Personal Injury Firm Rank High
Hirsch & Lyon, a Phoenix-based law firm that exclusively handles automobile accidents.
Hirsch & Lyon wanted to rank higher for car accidents, one of the most competitive areas of practice in Arizona.
- PaperStreet drafted a 4,500-word ultimate guide to car accident law in Arizona. The page ranks at the top of page one for car accident law in Arizona.
- The guide covers everything a reader would need to know on the topic of Arizona car accident law, including applicable laws, key cases, definition of terms, insurance issues and statistics.
- The guide also walks readers through a typical car accident case, answers frequently asked questions and provides links to resources.
Long-form content that provides comprehensive coverage of a single topic can dominate search results and drive traffic and leads.
Learn How PaperStreet Can Help With Content Marketing For Law Firms
Contact us to schedule a call to discuss a content marketing plan for your firm.