Google recently sent out an email regarding new data retention controls that allow you to manage how long your user and event data are stored in Google Analytics.
The deadline is May 25th and we would recommend you update your data retention setting to not automatically expire.
Please see below for step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this update.
What Happens If I Don’t Update?
The default data retention period will be set to 26 months. As a result, you’ll still have about two years of historical data to analyze. But you will not be able to do a historical analysis for certain data that goes back any further than March 2016.
Steps On How To Update
You need to have Edit permission for the Google Analytics property to set these options.
- Sign in to Google Analytics.
- Click Admin, and navigate to the property you want to edit.
- In the PROPERTY column, click Tracking Info > Data Retention.
- User and event data retention: Do not automatically expire
- Reset on new activity: turn the switch off
Here is a screenshot below that should help demonstrate what needs to be done.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.