When it comes to law firms, thought leaders are the go-to subject matter experts in their area of practice. In 2020, thought leadership will become an even more powerful way for lawyers to engage with prospects, clients and influencers. Through strategic thought leadership, you can:
- Establish yourself as an expert in your practice niche
- Raise your online visibility and promote your brand
- Develop strategic relationships with clients and prospects
- Become a go-to resource for media and industry leaders
- Open doors to publishing and speaking opportunities
- Generate leads and new business – and more!
Marketing Through Thought Leadership
Below are 10 ways to position yourself as an industry leader and capture the attention of prospective clients through thought leadership.
- Bylined article submissions to key journals, publications and web outlets. Publishing in leading publications and media outlets is an effective way to build influence, establish credibility and communicate your brand. Begin by identifying the publications that are read by your target market and craft targeted content to connect with that audience.
- Guest blogging. Blogging can help establish you as an authority within your practice niche, raise brand awareness and build relationships with key influencers. Blogging for powerful media channels also helps you connect with new audiences and drive traffic to your website. Get started by developing a portfolio of topics and identifying key bloggers and influencers within your niche. Once your post is published, promote the article on your firm’s website and through social media and other channels.
- Videos. Videos are a powerful tool to build trust, educate clients, drive traffic and convert prospects. Video marketing is on the rise, and a well-executed video has the potential to go viral. Story-driven videos are particularly hot in 2020 and can double – or even triple –conversion rates.
- E-books. An e-book is an effective way to share your knowledge and strategically leverage the viral power of the web to boost your online visibility. Content-rich e-books can answer your potential client’s questions and address their pain points. You can also re-package existing content, such as a blog post series, into informative e-books that help establish you as a subject matter expert.
- Content Downloads. Content downloads are powerful lead generation tools. Information-rich content – designed to inform, engage and convert website visitors – can help you collect valuable user contact information. These content assets, which range from white papers, checklists and templates to how-to guides, surveys and industry reports, help you drive targeted traffic to your firm, connect with readers and develop relationships with potential clients.
- Infographics. Infographics rank among the most shareable, viral content on the internet. Their visual nature makes them impactful, informative and easy to understand. The key is to develop messages that connect with your target audience and to transform those messages into a unique visual that captivates and educates your audience.
- Newsletters and email campaigns. Newsletters are a proven marketing tool to inform clients, drive traffic and promote your brand. You can start by compiling an email list and designing a branded template. Instead of drafting new content, you can link to blog posts or articles you have already published on your website.
- Blogging. Blogging is a time-tested way of expanding your audience, raising your visibility and attracting new clients. Google loves fresh, informative, high-quality content. In 2020, long-form articles of 2,000+ words are performing well in search rankings and drawing more readers than short-form posts.
- Key influencer outreach. Building relationships with influencers, bloggers and editors of niche content-driven sites can help you raise brand awareness and secure media interest around your law firm and its partners. Network with key influencers to garner strategic media placements and thought leadership opportunities.
- Social media. Social media is an effective way to directly connect with and engage with your audience. Law firms and attorneys who grow an active social presence and strategically leverage social media to expand their client base achieve a variety of goals, including marketing, business development, reputation management and crisis management.
Through the thought leadership initiatives outlined above, attorneys and law firms can position themselves as an authority in their practice niche to build visibility, promote their brand and gain a competitive advantage.